Sunday, April 21, 2013

SF Cartoon Museum

Today my class went to the Cartoon Museum in SF. I got to fill up my sketchbook by a number of pages, but more importantly I got to draw, draw, draw. And I came to realize, in practice, that loosely sketching out the mass of the subject first helped a lot with accuracy. Great galleries. below are my sketches, basically copies. Fun day, but who knew that holding a sketchbook with one arm while standing and sketching, demands much bicep strength and endurance!! It was hectic sketching at first, trying to keep in pace with the class, but then everyone left and I got to draw more thoughtfully and to my liking; both experiences have their pluses.


Sam Keith


Newspaper Comic Classics

Chuck Jones (Warner Bros.)


Chuck Jones (originals)



Vanessa Davis, Roman Muradov, Sarah Varon, (rhino), John Klassen, Lilli


One of the drawings I liked most is this silly one, by Vanessa Davis, that was part of a comic on how to make a salad, I think:

No comments: